Autumn is here, folks! The beautiful colors are showing on the trees, pumpkins are transforming into Jack-O'-Lanterns, critters are stashing food for the long winter. Last week I discovered a marvelous hearty soup!
My friend tore the recipe out of her own magazine and gave it to me. Yep I promptly lost it! A frantic call to her yielded this wonderful soup!
Hearty Hamburger and Cabbage Soup
- 1/2 Head large green cabbage (or 1 small head) - sliced thinly.
- 1 -1/2 Quarts of Tomato Juice (or V8 juice)
- 3/4 lb lean hamburger - browned
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 - 16 to 20 oz can of low sodium chicken broth
- 1 to 2 stalks celery cut into bite size pieces
optional - 2 medium potatoes cut into bite size pieces
Put all ingredients into a large cooking pot. Cook on low simmering for at least 2 hours (to be sure the cabbage is completely cooked).
Easy peasy, huh?
This was a big hit with my soup "iffy" husband... he even took leftovers for his lunch at work! The really odd part is that the kitchen smelled delicious! (Cabbage usually doesn't leave a pleasant smell). The soup is thick and very filling. It's even healthy! Shhhhh don't tell the kids!
Add a loaf of your favorite soup dunking bread and you have a mouthwatering, hearty meal that will warm you right up!